Charlotte Truck Accident Lawyer
Have you been hurt in a Charlotte-area truck accident?
You may be entitled to compensation and you might be looking for a Charlotte truck accident lawyer. Our truck accident lawyers have been serving clients in the Charlotte area for decades and we would love to help you if we can.
Our truck and tractor-trailer accident attorneys have more than 225 years of combined legal experience and we are passionate about fighting for justice for victims of these terrible accidents. Truck accidents happen in seconds but the consequences can last a lifetime.
We understand what you’re going through and our truck accident lawyers with experience in Charlotte can help you navigate your injury claim or lawsuit, and get the compensation you need and deserve.
For a FREE consultation with a truck accident lawyer handling cases in Charlotte, please call 1-800-525-7111 or complete the fast and easy form below.
The consultation is free, there is no obligation and you won’t pay any attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 today to speak with an experienced Charlotte personal injury lawyer.
In addition to handling truck accident injury cases in Charlotte, we also serve clients throughout the greater metropolitan area, including Concord, Kannapolis, Matthews, Gastonia, Indian Trail, Mint Hill and other nearby cities.
“Riddle & Brantley found me all the available money from the insurance companies.”
–David Howard, Riddle & Brantley client
In the most tragic and heartbreaking cases, our Charlotte wrongful death lawyers are ready to fight for justice for you and your loved ones.
In accidents occurring while on the job, our workers’ comp attorneys can assist with your claim, as well, and our disability lawyers can help with seeking benefits for accident injuries resulting in long-term disability.
“What Can I Receive Compensation For?”
If you’ve been injured in a Charlotte-area truck accident, you may be entitled to damages (compensation) in a personal injury claim or lawsuit. Damages in truck accident injury cases may include:
- Medical Bills — You are generally entitled to compensation to help cover medical expenses related to the truck accident, including expenses for hospital visits, ambulance rides, doctors’ visits, surgeries, medical equipment, home care, etc.
- Lost Wages — If you’re forced to take time off work to treat your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation to make up for lost wages.
- Loss of Future Income — Truck accident injuries can sometimes mean that you’re unable to return to your previous job. In these cases, you may be eligible for compensation to make up for lost future earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering — These “non-economic” damages may include compensation for emotional distress, loss of consortium (companionship or sexual relations with a spouse), or permanent scarring or disfigurement.
In some cases, in which a truck driver’s conduct is determined to constitute “gross negligence” (conduct determined to be “willful or wonton”), a jury may award punitive damages. Punitive damages are intended to “punish” the at-fault party in order to discourage similar conduct in the future. It can be difficult to demonstrate that punitive damages are warranted, however, and a Charlotte truck accident lawyer can help evaluate your claim.
“What If I’m Partially at Fault in a Charlotte Truck Accident?”
In North Carolina, there is a law commonly known as “contributory negligence.” Contributory negligence means that if you’re even partially at fault for an accident, you can be barred from recovery of compensation in a personal injury claim. However, there are ways to overcome a contributory negligence defense, and our firm is experienced in handling these cases.
Truck accident cases can be complex, and in many cases, the defendant and/or insurance company will attempt to use contributory negligence to defeat a claim and avoid paying compensation. This only makes it more important to contact an experienced Charlotte truck accident attorney. We can go to work right away to investigate the facts and circumstances of the accident, prove liability, and counter any contributory negligence claims.
Evidence Used in Truck Accident Claims
In the immediate aftermath of a truck accident, it’s important to collect and preserve critical evidence to help prove your case and protect your personal injury claim. A Charlotte truck accident lawyer can help lead the effort, collecting important evidence such as:
- Witness testimony
- Testimony by experts like accident reconstructionists and federal trucking safety experts
- Photos of the crash scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks, debris, road signage, etc.
- Photos of injuries
- Video of the accident, including from surveillance cameras and dash cams
- The official accident report from law enforcement
- Truck “black box” data
- Medical records
Riddle & Brantly’s Charlotte truck accident injury lawyers have overseen many complex truck accident investigations in more than 35 years serving the people of North Carolina. We understand the complexities involved in proving liability in these crashes, and we’re ready to help. We have a team of experienced investigators on staff to help gather evidence and strengthen our clients’ cases. These investigators are former law enforcement officers who know the ins and outs of crash scene investigation.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to a truck or tractor-trailer accident. In over 35 years serving the people of North Carolina, our Charlotte personal injury lawyers have handled truck accidents caused by many factors, including:
- Driver Distraction — The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) has reported that distracted driving was involved in almost 19 percent of all auto accidents in North Carolina in 2019. Federal laws prohibit the use of cell phones while operating a commercial truck, and hefty fines and suspensions may be enforced to discourage this behavior.
- Drowsy Driving — Studies show that driving while tired or exhausted is a leading cause of truck accidents. In some cases, trucking companies directly or indirectly encourage drivers to violate laws regarding hours of service, leading to drowsy driving which can endanger the driver and other motorists. In these cases, a trucking company may be held liable for the accident.
- Improper Licensure and Training — Commercial truck drivers are required to be properly licensed and undergo training prior to operating a truck or tractor-trailer. Some “rogue” trucking companies are lax about the rules, however, and this can endanger motorists on the road and lead to serious truck accidents.
- Driving Under the Influence — Truck drivers who operate their vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol pose a serious threat to the safety and health of themselves and other motorists, and can certainly cause a serious truck accident.
- Improper Loading or Securing Cargo — When a truck is loaded improperly, in can cause imbalances that can lead to accidents. Cargo could also fall from the truck, potentially hitting other vehicles.
- Improper Maintenance — Trucking companies are required to keep their trucks maintained. When a company does not comply and keep its fleet sufficiently maintained, the consequences can be devastating.
- Defective Truck Parts — When defective vehicle parts contribute to a trucking accident, the truck or parts manufacturer(s) can sometimes be held liable for damages.
Hours of Service Laws
Many truck driving accidents are caused by drowsy driving, which is often influenced by a truck driver working long hours. Federal rules are in place concerning “hours of service,” but sometimes truck drivers violate these laws, often with the implied or direct encouragement of trucking companies that put profits before safety. Many drivers are also paid by the mile, not the hour, which further encourages them to go as far as possible without a break for rest.
Black Box Data
In some cases, a truck’s “black box” data recorder can help shed light on the facts and circumstances surrounding a truck accident. A Charlotte truck accident attorney can help ensure that the black box data is preserved and provided for analysis. This data has proven helpful in many cases handled by our attorneys across North Carolina.
Injuries Resulting from Truck Accidents
The injuries caused by truck accidents are often severe and sometimes life-threatening or even deadly, often influenced by the weight, speed, and momentum of large commercial trucks and tractor-trailers. Head-on truck accidents and underride accidents can be especially devastating.
Common truck accident injuries include:
- Broken bones (fractures)
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Paralysis and semi-paralysis
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
In the most heartbreaking cases, a wrongful death claim may be filed when a truck accident leads to the loss of a loved one. At Riddle & Brantley, our Charlotte wrongful death attorneys have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of surviving family members when a loved one has been killed due to others’ negligence (see disclaimer below).
Results for Truck Accident Injury Victims in North Carolina
In more than three decades serving North Carolina, we’re proud of our record securing millions of dollars in compensation for victims of truck and tractor-trailer accidents (see disclaimer below).
Recent wins include:
- $9,450,000 | Tractor-Trailer Accident & Wrongful Death — A family of four was tragically killed in a terrible tractor-trailer accident on a busy highway outside Fayetteville. Our attorneys led a comprehensive investigation that included accident reconstruction and even traffic data from Google Maps, proved liability and filed multiple lawsuits. Through extensive mediations we secured $9.45 million in total compensation for surviving family.
- $2,250,000 | Truck Accident & Wrongful Death — Our client was killed instantly when a truck traveling at an excessive speed crossed the center line and hit her vehicle head-on. We partnered with Raleigh attorney David Kirby and led a thorough accident investigation. We proved liability and advised defense counsel of our intent to file suit, after which we were able to negotiate a total settlement of $2.25 million for surviving loved ones.
- $1,800,000 | Truck Accident — Attorney Gene Riddle fought for justice for a man whose vehicle was hit head-on by another truck while on the job. He suffered severe injuries and was eventually forced to have his left leg amputated below the knee. We were able to prove liability and negotiate settlements with both the workers’ comp carrier and the truck insurance company, totaling $1.8 million in compensation.
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.
“I would recommend them to anyone. They fought hard for me.”
–Christine W., Riddle & Brantley client
Advanced Capabilities for Complex Truck Accident Cases
Truck accidents can be extremely complicated. There is often a significant amount of evidence to collect, document and preserve. Witnesses need to be identified and interviewed. Crash data may need to be downloaded from the truck involved. Expert witnesses — including accident reconstructionists and federal truck safety authorities — may need to be brought in to help prove liability. Contacting a truck accident lawyer serving Charlotte is an important first step in determining your best path forward for seeking justice and compensation.
At Riddle & Brantley, our team includes experienced investigators who can investigate the facts and circumstances of your Charlotte truck accident and help strengthen your case. We often bring in outside experts, as well, and can even obtain traffic data and other information when necessary to help your case.
If you’ve been injured in a Charlotte truck accident, don’t wait to have your claim investigated. The longer you wait, the harder it may be to win your case and get you the compensation you need and deserve.
Call our truck accident lawyers serving Charlotte immediately at 1-800-525-7111 — we will investigate your claim and advise you on your best available legal options.
There is no obligation, the consultation is free, and you won’t pay any attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 today and let’s review your truck accident claim. A truck accident lawyer serving Charlotte will listen to you, advise you on your legal options, and if you decide to hire us, fight tirelessly for your right to justice and compensation.
“It was nice to see Riddle & Brantley put me and my needs first.”
–R. Colley, Riddle & Brantley client
Award-Winning Truck Accident Lawyers in Charlotte, NC
Our team of Charlotte truck accident lawyers has extensive experience handling cases in the Charlotte area and is led by Gene Riddle, an award-winning injury attorney who is recognized by The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, Super Lawyers, The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He also maintains a prestigious AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is the recipient of the 2014 Litigator Award (see disclaimer below).
Gene and his team have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for victims of truck accidents in North Carolina, and we would love to help you if we can (see disclaimer above).
For a FREE, no-obligation consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Charlotte, please call 1-800-525-7111 or complete the fast and easy form below.
The consultation is free and there are no upfront costs or attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation for your injuries.
We pride ourselves on providing excellent client service and we are proud of the words our clients use to describe their experience working with our attorneys and staff.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 today and let our experienced truck and tractor-trailer accident attorneys review your Charlotte-area truck accident case.
Justice Counts for victims of truck accidents in North Carolina, and we would love to help you and your loved ones however we can.
*** Disclaimer: An attorney must meet certain requirements to join these organizations or receive these awards. For more information on Membership Criteria for Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, and the Litigator Award, please visit our Membership Criteria page. These awards and memberships should not be construed as a promise or guarantee of a similar result. Each case is different and must be evaluated separately.