Durham Truck Accident Lawyer
Justice for Durham, North Carolina
Durham is a city in North Carolina which is part of the Research Triangle, known for its technology companies and educational institutions. Duke University’s campus is in Durham and the University of North Carolina is not far away in Chapel Hill.
Durham is the 4th largest city in North Carolina and is home to more than 300,000 people.
There are several major highways leading to and around Durham: I-40, I-540, I-85, US-501, and US-70. These roads are highly traveled and used by many heavy trucks and semi-trucks, and these highways can be very dangerous.
“We’ve been serving truck accidents in Durham for more than three decades and we’re proud to fight for justice for all North Carolinians.” -Gene Riddle
Have you or a loved one been injured in a truck accident? If so, you may be entitled to compensation. Call an experienced truck accident lawyer today.
You can also complete the short online form if you prefer.
The consultation is free and there are no attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation — no win, no fee!
Let our Durham personal injury lawyers review your case. You deserve justice and may be entitled to significant financial compensation.
Results for Truck Accident Victims in Durham
Riddle & Brantley law firm has been representing people who have been involved in tractor-trailer accidents in and around Durham for almost 35 years. Our reputation speaks for itself:
- $9.45M – A family of four were killed instantly when a tractor-trailer rear-ended their vehicle on the highway. After a thorough investigation, it was determined that there was combined negligence with two truck drivers, and suit was filed. Our attorneys worked tirelessly on the case, and even subpoenaed Google for information related to traffic conditions at the time of the accident. We were ultimately able to negotiate two separate settlements totaling $9,450,000 in compensation.
- $2.75M – A client was seriously injuries in a head-on collision and suffered fractures to his neck, leg, and arms. Attorney Donald Dunn secured $2,750,000 in compensation through negotiation. This award was followed by a $1,000,000 judgment against the insurance company.
- $2.25M – A truck traveling at an excessively high speed crossed the center line, hitting and killing the plaintiff. Attorney Gene Riddle was contacted by the surviving family and immediately went to work on the case. After informing defense counsel of our intention to file a lawsuit, mediation was scheduled, during which Riddle secured $2,250,000 in death benefits for the deceased’s loved ones.
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.
Potential Liability in Commercial Vehicle Accident Cases
With more than one party potentially responsible for the damages, liability in commercial vehicle accident cases can be complex. Depending on the circumstances, any of these parties could be liable in a commercial truck accident:
- The truck driver: The truck driver can be liable in a commercial vehicle accident case. Drivers must maintain control of their vehicles and follow all safety regulations, and if they fail to do so, they can be held responsible for any damages or injuries.
- The trucking company: They could be held liable for any damages or injuries caused by the driver’s negligence if they were inadequately trained or did not properly maintain the vehicles used by their employees.
- Vehicle and parts manufacturers: In some cases, a manufacturer may be liable if there is evidence that their product was defective or malfunctioned in some way that caused the accident.
- Other drivers on the road: Other drivers on the road at the time of an accident may be held responsible if their actions contributed to causing it. This could include distracted driving, speeding, or failing to yield right-of-way.
- Government entities: If a government entity is found negligent for dangerous road conditions, such as potholes, debris, or road marketing it could also be liable for damages.
When is the Truck Driver Liable?
At the federal level, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sets rules for truck companies and drivers that must be followed to operate legally. These regulations include drug testing, hours of service limits, vehicle maintenance requirements, driver qualifications, and cargo securement rules.
Failing to comply with these regulations could result in penalties or liability for damages for the truck driver for their non-compliance. In addition, some truck drivers may be independent contractors or own their trucks. These situations can further complicate who may be liable for your accident.
“Can I Hold the Trucking Company Liable?”
In some commercial vehicle accidents, the legal theory of “vicarious liability” could hold the trucking company accountable.
For example, suppose a company failed to properly train or supervise their driver, hired them without a background check to screen potentially dangerous drivers, or encouraged unsafe driving practices. In that case, the truck company may be held accountable.
Why hire a Durham truck accident lawyer?
After an accident with a large tractor-trailer truck you or your loved ones may be seriously injured and feel overwhelmed and intimidated by the legal system. You may also be trying to balance physical recovery with handling all the details that will inevitably arise. You are suddenly thrown into an unfamiliar situation that could potentially impact the rest of your life.
From talking to insurance companies to making medical appointments, things can become tricky.
A Durham truck accident lawyer can help.
Our experienced truck accident attorneys have more than 220+ years of combined legal experience fighting for injury victims in Durham and throughout the Triangle and greater North Carolina.
We know what it takes to win, and we fight tirelessly for our deserving clients.
There are no upfront costs or attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation.
“I would recommend them to anyone. They fought hard for me.” -Christine W.
The Danger of Truck Accidents
A truck or tractor-trailer crash can happen anytime, often without any warning. While an accident can happen in seconds, the consequences can last a lifetime.
The nine most common causes of truck accidents are:
- Distracted Driving
- Truck Driver Fatigue
- Lane Shifting
- Speeding, Load Shift, Cargo Overload
- Dangerous or Defective Road Conditions
- Collision in Truckers Lane
- Improper Truck Maintenance or Vehicle System Failure
- Mechanical Failure
- Driver Inexperience
The devastation of being involved in a truck accident does not go away immediately after the accident. The damage linked to the accident often requires those injured to have a strong support system long after the crash.
You’ll also probably want an experienced personal injury attorney who can play a vital role in helping recover damages you may be entitled to under the law.
Statistics show that those who hire an attorney receive on average roughly 30% more compensation than those who do not.
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, there are a few steps you can take to help build your case for justice and compensation.
The following are important things to do immediately after a truck accident:
- Call 911
- Seek immediate medical attention if needed
- Never admit fault
- Never give a statement to the insurance company
- Talk with the officer handling the accident and make sure you are honest as well as accurate. Remember, anything you say can be used against you.
- Gather all important documents and make a list of any damages. Get all medical bills and other documents related to the wreck. Be sure to document any issues affecting your life that are the result of your accident.
- Contact a truck accident lawyer – A personal injury lawyer is probably the most important ally you can have in taking on a commercial truck carrier and truck drivers who deny any responsibility for their wrongdoing.
The truck accident attorneys at Riddle& Brantley have experience handling all types of injury cases, including those involving injuries such as:
- Broken Bones
- Cuts and scrapes
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head injuries – including TBI traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Back injuries
- Head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Emotional trauma (PSTD)
- And more
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a truck or tractor-trailer accident in Durham or the surrounding area, please call us at (919) 728-1770, or complete the online form below.
The consultation is free, and we won’t get paid unless you are compensated. Our Durham truck accident lawyers will be happy to review your case.
Truck Accident Attorneys Dedicated to Your Case
We know things can be tough. If you are not able to come to us and would like to talk to one of our lawyers, we will be happy to come to you. We are glad to talk with you and evaluate your case.
The initial consultation is free and you won’t pay a dime unless we recover compensation for you.
Riddle & Brantley is building trust by delivering results. Justice Counts for you and your loved ones.
You deserve justice and you may be entitled to compensation.