Jackknife Accident Lawyers in North Carolina
Tractor-trailers are common on North Carolina’s highways, but they can present serious safety risks for other motorists. Blind spots, underride accidents, and jackknife truck accidents can result in serious and even life-threatening injuries.
In this article, our truck accident lawyers will focus in particular on jackknife accidents (sometimes written as “jack knife” accidents), explaining what they are, how to avoid them, and what victims can do if they’ve been injured in one.
What is a Jackknife Accident?
A jackknife accident is a type of accident involving a tractor-trailer that happens when the truck skids and the cab and trailer swing apart to form a 90-degree angle. In this situation, the configuration of the cab and trailer resembles the blade and handle of a folding pocket knife.
In many cases, 18-wheelers are traveling at high rates of speed when they jack knife, potentially resulting in a dangerous roll-over.
These accidents can result in serious and even fatal injuries.
Common causes of jackknife truck accidents include:
- Slippery conditions, including ice or rain on the roadway
- Taking a curve too fast
- Swerving to avoid other vehicles
- Improper braking
- Equipment failure
Jack Knife Semi-Truck Accidents
Jackknife truck accidents can be especially dangerous because, in many cases, the truck will roll over and/or swerve into other lanes, potentially into oncoming traffic.
If a jackknife accident results in injury, the driver may be held liable if his or her negligence caused the accident.
There is no obligation and you won’t pay any attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive compensation.
If you’ve been injured in a jackknife accident, you may be entitled to compensation and we would love to help you get justice if we can.
North Carolina Jackknife Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a jackknifing accident, a personal injury attorney at Riddle & Brantley can help.
For more than 35 years, our attorneys have fought aggressively for justice on behalf of injured North Carolinians and visitors to our state.
We’ve recovered millions of dollars in compensation for injury victims, including many clients who have been hurt in tractor-trailer and truck accidents (see disclaimer below).
Recent results include:
- $9,450,000 — Our attorneys represented surviving relatives of a family of four who were killed in a horrific tractor-trailer accident near Fayetteville. We organized a comprehensive accident investigation, including accident reconstructionists and subpoenaed traffic data from Google Maps, and proved liability in the case. We were ultimately able to negotiate $9.45 million in total compensation in separate settlements.
- $1,800,000 — Attorney Gene Riddle represented a truck driver who was hit head-on by another truck while on the job. We filed a personal injury claim and a workers’ compensation claim with separate carriers, ultimately securing $1.8 million in total compensation in separate settlements.
- $2,250,000 — Attorney Gene Riddle aggressively fought for justice on behalf of a family that he knew personally, after a young woman died in a terrible accident when she was hit by a truck crossing the center line. We proved liability in the case with the assistance of attorney David Kirby of the Kirby Edwards law firm in Raleigh, and secured $2.25 million for the surviving relatives.
There are no upfront costs and no attorney fees unless we win your case. We don’t get paid unless you do. If we don’t recover compensation for you in your jackknife truck accident case, you won’t pay any attorney fees.
In the most heartbreaking cases, our wrongful death attorneys are ready to help surviving family members seek justice for their lost loved ones.
Free consultations are available in-person, or by phone, email, text or even video conference. For the convenience of our Spanish-speaking clients we even have bilingual interpreters on staff.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 and let’s review your truck accident injury claim.
Justice Counts for those injured in jack knife truck accidents and we would love to help if we can.
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.