“How Long Do I Have to File a Truck Accident Claim in North Carolina?”
Truck accidents are unfortunately common in North Carolina, and when you’re injured due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Many of our clients ask our truck accident lawyers, “How long do I have to file a truck accident claim in North Carolina?”
In this article, we’ll share what you need to know about how long you have to file a truck accident claim or lawsuit in North Carolina, and how you can protect your legal rights.
“How long do I have to file a North Carolina truck accident claim or lawsuit?”
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is three years. This means that in order to pursue compensation, you must file your truck accident claim or lawsuit no later than three years after the date of the accident.
However, it’s a little more complicated than that.
In North Carolina, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims (such as truck accident injury claims) also starts to run as follows:
- On the date of the accident
- On the date on which you noticed or should have noticed your injuries
- On the date your loved one dies in a wrongful death case
- On the date a minor turns 18 if he or she was underage at the time of the accident
As with most things in North Carolina law, there are some exceptions.
For instance, if a loved one is killed in a truck accident in North Carolina, the statute of limitations for that wrongful death claim is just two years.
Because the statute of limitations can be somewhat confusing, it’s important to talk with an experienced truck accident lawyer as soon as possible following the accident. He or she can advise you on your legal options and determine the best path forward for seeking compensation.
For a FREE consultation with an experienced North Carolina truck accident lawyer serving Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Fayetteville, Charlotte, and all other NC cities, please call 1-800-525-7111.
There are no upfront costs and no attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive financial compensation.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 today and let’s review your claim.
“Can I get an extension on the statute of limitations for my truck accident case in North Carolina?”
If you miss the deadline to file your North Carolina truck accident claim, the courts will probably dismiss it.
There are very few situations in which a North Carolina court might consider extending the statute of limitations for your truck accident claim. These include:
- If you legitimately didn’t realize you were injured (however, in major truck accident cases, this is extremely unlikely).
- If you were a minor and couldn’t file a lawsuit until you were 18 years old.
- If the defendant disappeared and you were unable to find them. In this scenario, the defendant must have left North Carolina for at least one year, and that time will not count against the statute of limitations in your truck accident case.
- If the court determined that you were incompetent or insane for a period of time. In these situations, the statute of limitations for your North Carolina truck accident case could be extended for that same duration of time.
All of these cases are very rare, however, and nothing is guaranteed. In most cases, you won’t be able to get an extension on your truck accident case in North Carolina, which is why it’s important to contact an experienced truck accident attorney right away.
So, if you’re wondering how long you have to file a truck accident claim in North Carolina, in general, the answer is three years from the date of the accident.
Have You Been Injured in a North Carolina Truck Accident?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident in North Carolina due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve justice — and you may be entitled to significant financial compensation.
Our North Carolina truck accident lawyers would love to help.
For a FREE, no-obligation consultation with a truck accident lawyer handling cases in North Carolina, please call 1-800-525-7111.
“Riddle & Brantley found me all the available money from the insurance companies.”
–David Howard, Riddle & Brantley client
If you’re wondering how long you have to file a North Carolina truck accident claim, the answer may be shorter than you think. Call us today for a FREE consultation at 1-800-525-7111.
Since 1985, our attorneys have secured millions of dollars in compensation for victims of truck and tractor-trailer accidents (see disclaimer below), including:
- $9,450,000 — Attorneys Kurt Dixon and Gene Riddle represented surviving loved ones in a wrongful death case when a family of four was killed in a horrific tractor-trailer accident on a busy highway near Fayetteville. We investigated the accident, proved liability, and filed multiple lawsuits. Ultimately, we were able to secure more than $9 million in compensation in separate settlements prior to trial.
- $1,800,000 — Attorney Gene Riddle represented our client, who suffered serious injuries including the eventual loss of his left leg below the knee, when he was hit by a truck while driving on the job. We worked out settlements with the workers’ comp carrier and the truck insurance company totaling $1.8 million in compensation.
- $2,000,000 — We represented the surviving sons of an elderly woman who died of injuries sustained in a crash involving an 18-wheeler. We brought in outside experts to help prove liability and ultimately secured $2,000,000 in total compensation.
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.
For a FREE consultation with an experienced North Carolina truck accident lawyer, please call 1-800-525-7111.
There is no obligation and you won’t pay any attorney fees unless we win your case and you receive compensation.
We will review your claim and advise you on how the North Carolina statute of limitations may impact your truck accident case. We’ll give you our best legal advice concerning your case, and if you decide to hire us, we will fight tirelessly for the justice and compensation you deserve.
You don’t have to do this alone. We understand what you’re going through.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 today and let’s review your claim.