Raleigh Personal Injury Lawyers
Experienced and Trusted Raleigh Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Raleigh or the surrounding area, an experienced Raleigh personal injury attorney at Riddle & Brantley can help make all the difference in getting you the justice and compensation you deserve. Since 2000 alone, our attorneys have recovered more than $600,000,000 in total compensation for our valued clients (see disclaimer below).
At Riddle & Brantley, our Raleigh personal injury lawyers have been serving clients in the Triangle since 1985. Our attorneys live in Raleigh and the surrounding areas. This is our home, and we are committed to fighting for justice for our fellow North Carolinians.
With convenient offices in Raleigh (we are on Glenwood Avenue and directly across from the Crabtree Valley Mall) and other surrounding NC cities, we are ready to fight for you.
Our Raleigh Practice Areas
With over 225 years of shared experience, the attorneys at Riddle & Brantley focus on several areas of law, including personal injury, car accidents, truck accidents, workers’ comp, disability, and wrongful death. Every person we represent is served with dedication, compassion, and the highest level of client service.
Our Raleigh injury attorneys can assist with all types of injury cases, including:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Scooter accidents
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Sexual assault
- Product liability cases
- Dangerous drug cases
- Defective medical device claims
- Mesothelioma and asbestos exposure claims
- Nursing home neglect and abuse
- VA disability claims and appeals
- Workers’ compensation claims
- Social Security disability
- Wrongful death
Call for a FREE, No-Obligation Consultation — No Win, No Fee!
Connect with us if you or a loved one has been injured due to an act of negligence. We are powerful advocates for those we represent; you can trust us to go the distance for you and pursue the maximum possible recovery.
Call 1-800-525-7111 now or contact us through our online free case evaluation form. We are ready to get to work and help you get justice.
Free consultations with our Raleigh personal injury lawyers are available by phone, email, text and even video conference. No in-person visit is required, but we will gladly come directly to you if you prefer. We also have Spanish-speaking interpreters on staff for the convenience of our clients, as well.
What Should I Do After an Accident in Raleigh?
Accidents happen. But if another person or business is at fault, you deserve justice — and you may be entitled to compensation.
Before you do anything else, call 911 and seek medical attention for your injuries. Not only is this best to protect your health, safety, and well-being, but medical records form an important part of any personal injury case.
After seeking medical attention, complete these steps to protect your legal rights and begin building your Raleigh personal injury case:
- Collect contact info — get names, email addresses, and phone numbers from all involved in the accident. Be sure to gather information for potential witnesses, too.
- Talk with the police officer — a police report is an important part of most personal injury cases. Be honest and accurate and remember that anything you say can and will be used against you.
- Photograph the accident site — Take photos of all injuries and evidence at the accident site. Document property damage and look for evidence that may support your case, including skid marks, debris, safety equipment in disrepair, or inaccurate road markings.
- Fill out necessary paperwork — depending on the type of injury, certain forms and reports may need to be filed. If you’ve been injured at work, you’ll need to complete Form 18 and your employer must complete and submit Form 19 to the NC Industrial Commission (NCIC). If you’re worried about your employer not submitting the required paperwork, you can file Form 18 directly with the NCIC. Talk with a worker’s compensation attorney for more information.
- Do NOT give a recorded statement to the insurance company — before making any statement to an insurance company, speak with an attorney. The insurance company has one primary goal: paying as little in compensation as possible. A rushed or ill-considered statement can undermine your case. What you say can and will be used against you later in a deposition or in court.
- Speak with a personal injury lawyer — what you do immediately following an accident can have a huge impact on the success of your personal injury case. In order to protect your legal rights and build the strongest case possible, contact a personal injury lawyer right away. At Riddle and Brantley, if we don’t think you need a lawyer we will tell you so.
What Damages Are Available in Raleigh Personal Injury Cases?
Many of our clients ask us, “What kind of compensation is available in my personal injury case?”
There are several types of damages available in injury claims and lawsuits, including:
- Medical Bills — Compensation is available to compensate you for medical treatments and related expenses, including home medical equipment, etc. Additional damages may be available for long-term and continuing treatment, in which case a Raleigh personal injury lawyer may obtain a life care plan to help calculate future costs.
- Lost Wages — Many accidents require victims to take time off work while they recover. In these cases, damages may be awarded to cover lost wages.
- Lost Future Income — You may also be able to recover compensation to make up for potential loss of future income if your injuries prevent you from working in the same job again.
- Pain and Suffering — Compensation may be available for your “pain and suffering,” or the emotional injury you’ve suffered. This may include compensation for emotional trauma, loss of consortium (companionship and sexual relations with a spouse), or permanent scarring.
- Punitive Damages — In cases in which it’s determined that the defendant acted with “gross negligence” or “willful and wanton” misconduct, a judge or jury may decide to award punitive damage to “punish” the responsible party. Punitive damages are awarded in addition to any other “compensatory” damages, such as those listed above.
How to Prove Fault in a Raleigh Injury Claim
Of course, any damages awarded in a personal injury settlement or verdict depend on the plaintiff’s ability to prove fault.
In a personal injury case, the plaintiff must prove four important things:
- The defendant had a “duty of care” to avoid harming the plaintiff
- The defendant breached this duty
- The plaintiff was injured as a result of the defendant’s breach of duty
- The plaintiff suffered damages (physical injuries, wage loss, property damage, emotional trauma, etc.)
Our Raleigh personal injury lawyers rely on many different kinds of evidence in proving fault.
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, evidence used to prove fault may include:
- Medical records — Medical records and doctors’ notes detail the type and severity of injuries suffered, and can provide necessary context into how the accident unfolded.
- Photos — Images of the crash scene, including debris, vehicle or property damage, road markings and signage, and injuries are important evidence in personal injury cases.
- Video — Video footage, from surveillance cameras, dash cams, or bystanders, can provide invaluable clues into what happened to cause an accident resulting in injury.
- Eyewitness testimony — Individuals who witnessed the accident may be able to provide valuable testimony that can help plaintiffs prove fault in a personal injury case.
- Expert testimony — In some cases, a Raleigh personal injury lawyer will bring in expert witnesses like accident reconstructionists, medical providers, or federal trucking safety experts to provide their expertise and opinion on the accident and help establish liability.
- Accident report — The official accident report (often called a police report) contains important information regarding the facts and circumstances of the accident, as well as the responding law enforcement officer’s interpretation of events.
When you hire a Raleigh personal injury lawyer at Riddle & Brantley, we also frequently involve our team of on-staff investigators to help investigate the cause of the accident and prove fault. These investigators are retired law enforcement officers who have extensive experience handling even the most complex accident cases.
About Riddle & Brantley’s Raleigh Personal Injury Attorneys
Riddle & Brantley’s 11 Raleigh personal injury attorneys have more than 225 years of combined legal experience and are ready to help at a moment’s notice. Among our attorneys are:
- Attorney Gene A. Riddle, who has represented thousands of North Carolinians in his years in practice. Cases he handles include auto accidents, personal injury, workers’ compensation, and wrongful death. A native of North Carolina, Mr. Riddle is personally committed to helping those in the Raleigh area pursue justice. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®, a group of less than one percent of U.S. attorneys that have achieved verdicts, awards, or settlements for in excess of $1 million or for many millions of dollars. Recently, he was honored as a recipient of the 2014 Litigator’s Award in multiple categories, a feat achieved by fewer than 1% of all lawyers. In addition, he has earned the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent (see disclaimer below).
- Attorney Alex Riddle joined the firm in 2020 after graduating from the University of North Carolina School of Law. She is the daughter of founding partner, Gene Riddle. Alex has a particular interest in personal injury and civil rights cases and has been recognized as a “National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40” attorney in recognition of her experience and accomplishments (see disclaimer below).
- Attorney J. Christopher Brantley has assisted thousands of injured employees for workers’ compensation benefits in his years of practice. He is also one of less than one percent of attorneys in the U.S. admitted to the elite Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum®. He is listed in “Top 100” by the American Trial Lawyers Association (see disclaimer below). His specialty lies in Workers’ Compensation, a designation earned from the North Carolina State Bar.
- Attorney Scott A. Scurfield is an associate also located in Raleigh. As a Board-Certified Specialist in Social Security Disability law, Scott focuses on Social Security Disability claims, veterans’ claims for VA benefits, and auto accidents. A former Assistant Public Defender, Scott has a broad range of legal knowledge and skill. He is a dedicated advocate in the courtroom and at administrative hearings.
Award-Winning Personal Injury Lawyers
In more than 35 years serving the people of Raleigh, our personal injury attorneys have been recognized for their experience and results by many prestigious organizations and awards (see disclaimer below), including:
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- The Litigator Award
- Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel
Our Involvement with the Raleigh Community
Our firm is involved in various activities to improve the quality of life for everyone in the Raleigh community.
Riddle & Brantley is part of the North Carolina Adopt-A-Highway Program, which helps to keep our state beautiful and the Newbern House, a facility for the disadvantaged. The firm also assists students with mentoring, mock trials, and other activities to help advance the skills of students interested in the law.
We care about our community and we will continue to invest our time and efforts into various community groups and volunteer activities.
Raleigh Courthouse Information
Personal injury cases are filed and litigated in the District Court or the Superior Court of North Carolina’s court system. The factors that determine the court in which your case will be resolved include the amount of damages at issue. The Wake County Justice Center is located at 300 S. Salisbury St. in Raleigh. The old courthouse is located at 316 Fayetteville St., also in downtown Raleigh.
Workers’ Compensation Information
Workers’ compensation hearings may be held in cases of workplace injury, illness, or death that came about as a result of a job-related accident or occupational disease. Benefits are available through the North Carolina Industrial Commission, which administers the Workers’ Compensation Act. For workers’ compensation cases, Deputy Commissioner Hearings are held in several locations, including Raleigh.
The North Carolina Industrial Commission holds Full Commission hearings in Raleigh at its offices at 430 N. Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC 27603.
Raleigh Social Security Disability Information
If you are seeking benefits through Social Security Disability, our skilled attorneys are ready to get to work for you. We can help with the initial application or help you file an appeal if your SSD application for benefits has been denied. The Social Security Administration Office in Raleigh is located at 4701 Old Wake Forest Rd, Raleigh, NC 27609. You can reach them by phone at 1-888-221-9512.
At Riddle & Brantley, our disability team is led by a Board-certified specialist in social security disability law, who has been recognized by the NC State Bar for his experience and expertise handling these cases.
Talk with Our Raleigh Injury Attorneys Today
If you’ve been injured in a Raleigh car accident, truck accident, workplace accident, or another type of accident, don’t gamble with the compensation. A recent survey found that those who hire a personal injury attorney recover roughly 3 times more compensation on average than those who represent themselves.
That’s a serious difference, and you deserve maximum compensation for your damages.
Please call 1-800-525-7111 and let a Raleigh personal injury attorney at Riddle & Brantley review your claim for free.
The consultation is free with no obligation, and you won’t pay any attorney fees unless we win your case, and you receive compensation.
Call 1-800-525-7111 and let’s review your claim. You may be entitled to significant compensation, and we would love to help you and your loved ones however we can.
Justice Counts for those injured due to others’ negligence and we are ready to help.
Riddle & Brantley Personal Injury Lawyers in Raleigh
Hours of Operation
Monday – 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Tuesday – 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Wednesday – 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Thursday – 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Friday – 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Saturday – 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Sunday – 8:00 AM – 11:00 PM
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.
*** Disclaimer: An attorney must meet certain requirements to join these organizations or receive these awards. For more information on Membership Criteria for Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers Top 100, The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the Litigator Award, and other memberships, awards, and accolades, please visit our Membership Criteria page. These awards and memberships should not be construed as a promise or guarantee of a similar result. Each case is different and must be evaluated separately.