Kinston Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Have you been injured in a pedestrian accident in Kinston? Your life may have changed forever in an instant, but you DO have options to seek justice, compensation, and improved quality of life.
For a FREE consultation with a Kinston pedestrian accident lawyer, please call 1-800-525-7111 or complete the fast and easy form below.
We can consult with you regarding the details of your case, help determine your eligibility for a claim or lawsuit, and, if you decide to hire us, fight tirelessly for your right to justice.
Our Kinston pedestrian accident attorneys have more than 220+ years of combined legal experience holding negligent parties accountable, and we would love to help you and your loved ones however we can.
Call 1-800-525-7111 and let’s review your claim. We can serve you from the convenience of our Kinston office by appointment only, or anytime by phone, email, text, or video conference from anywhere.
Remember, as always, there are no upfront costs, and you won’t pay a dime in attorney fees unless we win your pedestrian accident case, and you receive compensation.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in North Carolina?
Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents are not uncommon in North Carolina, including in Kinston. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT), 21 people suffered injuries in pedestrian accidents in Kinston in 2019, and 1 person was killed.
Across the entire state, pedestrian accidents increased 2.7% in 2019 over 2018, with 231 pedestrians killed in accidents.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents?
Many factors can contribute to pedestrian accidents. In more than 35 years handling pedestrian accident cases in Kinston and greater North Carolina, our personal injury lawyers in Kinston have seen pedestrian accidents involving:
- Distracted Driving — Distracted driving was involved in roughly 19% of all car accidents in 2019, according to the NCDOT, and many pedestrian accidents occur during left-hand turns when a driver may not be paying adequate attention
- Drunk Driving — Driving under the influence of drugs of alcohol can increase the likelihood of a pedestrian accident
- Failure to Yield — Pedestrians have the right of way in North Carolina when crossing identified crosswalks with a signal that indicates “Walk” at the intersection, and they also have the right of way when using a marked crosswalk outside an intersection
- Backing Up Accidents — In parking lots or driveways, drivers sometimes do not adequately check behind them before backing up, potentially endangering pedestrians and bystanders
- Lack of Visibility — The risk of a pedestrian accident is higher when visibility is low, and pedestrians are encouraged to wear bright, reflective clothing, and drivers should always use appropriate headlight settings
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Kinston or eastern North Carolina, seek immediate medical attention.
Follow these tips to protect your health and safety and preserve your legal rights after a pedestrian accident:
- Call 911 and seek immediate medical attention
- Talk with potential witnesses and get their contact information
- Photograph the crash scene (including debris, vehicle damage, skid marks, road signage, pavement markings, etc.) and your injuries
- Talk with the police officer and obtain a copy of the official police report (remember anything you do or say can and will be used against you — be factual, straightforward, and courteous)
- Do NOT give a recorded statement to the insurance company without first talking with an attorney
- Consult with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney to review your case and determine the best options for seeking justice and compensation
Pedestrian accident cases can be complicated, and liability is often disputed by the insurance company or defense counsel.
An experienced North Carolina pedestrian accident lawyer at Riddle & Brantley can help lead a comprehensive accident investigation to prove fault and strengthen your case. We even have experienced investigators on staff. These retired law enforcement officers know how to investigate even the most complicated crash scenes. We also routinely call in outside experts like accident reconstructionists to help prove liability in these cases.
Damages Available in Pedestrian Accident Cases
Our Kinston pedestrian accident lawyers can help you seek maximum compensation for your damages, potentially including:
- Medical Bills — Compensation is available to cover your immediate medical treatment, as well as ongoing and future treatments determined necessary by your doctor
- Lost Wages — You may be entitled to compensation to make up for wages lost due to the time you may have to take off from work to treat your injuries
- Loss of Future Income — In cases involving severe injuries, you may not be able to return to work (or to a similar type of work that you’ve done before), and compensation may be available to make up for lost future earning potential
- Pain and Suffering — These damages can cover emotional trauma like PTSD, permanent scarring, or loss of consortium (loss of companionship or sexual relations with a spouse)
- Punitive Damages — A court may award punitive damages to a victim in order to punish a defendant for “gross negligence,” which is defined as “wanton and reckless” disregard for another’s safety
In most cases, you won’t have to go to court for your Kinston pedestrian accident case. More than 90 percent of personal injury cases are settled out of court. However, if the insurance company is not willing to agree to a reasonable settlement, our Kinston pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to take your case to court to seek the compensation you deserve.
Why Riddle & Brantley?
Our personal injury lawyers have been serving the people of Kinston for more than 35 years. Led by Kinston pedestrian accident lawyer Gene Riddle, we’ve recovered more than $600 million in total compensation for victims of negligence since 2000 alone (see disclaimer below).
We pride ourselves on striving to treat every client like family, and we’d love to help you and your loved ones however we can.
For a FREE consultation with an experienced Kinston pedestrian accident lawyer, please call 1-800-525-7111.
“Riddle & Brantley found me all the available money from the insurance companies.”
–David H., Riddle & Brantley client
The consultation is free and there are no attorney fees unless we win your case. If we don’t recover compensation for you, you won’t pay any attorney fees. It’s as simple as that.
Call 1-800-525-7111 and let’s review your claim.
*** Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.