How to File a Truck Accident Claim
If you’ve been in a truck accident — especially if you are injured — what you do immediately following the accident can have a big impact on the outcome of your case.
A truck accident lawyer can advise you on your best legal options for pursuing an injury claim related to a truck or tractor-trailer accident.
One of the most important and valuable things we do for our clients is to immediately investigate the case, preserve evidence, obtain photos of the scene and truck, obtain statements from all witnesses and the investigating officer, and hire an accident reconstructionist and federal truck safety experts when needed.
In the meantime, you may be wondering how to file a truck accident claim.
Follow these simple steps to protect your legal rights and file a truck accident claim, and remember — in order to get the best possible outcome, you may want to consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer.
- Call 911 — Immediately after the crash, call 911. Be sure to let the dispatcher know if anyone has been injured in the truck accident.
- Seek Medical Attention — If you have been injured in the accident, seek immediate medical attention. If the EMTs or first responders advise you to go to the hospital, follow their recommendation, even if you think you’re ok. Not only are some injuries not fully apparent immediately, but the treatment records you receive from a doctor will be important in your potential truck accident claim.
- Talk with Law Enforcement — Once you call 911, police or state troopers will likely arrive at the scene. They will investigate the accident and talk with you about what happened. Tell the truth and be respectful. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you. The police report will play an important part in determining the outcome of your truck accident claim. Later, you or your attorney will want to obtain the official accident report from the law enforcement agency in order to strengthen your case.
- Take Photos — Documenting the truck crash scene is important. Once you’ve sought medical attention for any injuries, be sure to take photos of the accident scene. You’ll want photos of the vehicles involved, any debris or damage, skid marks, as well as any relevant road signage or markings. It’s also important to take photos of any injuries you or the people in your vehicle have suffered.
- Contact the Insurance Company — In order to start the claims process, you’ll need to contact your insurance company. Provide details of the accident but do not admit fault or give the insurance company a recorded statement before speaking with an experienced truck accident attorney (more on that below).
- Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer — If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation, and an experience truck accident injury attorney can help advise you on your potential claim. In the immediate aftermath, contact a truck accident attorney.
Most personal injury lawyers — like the truck accident lawyers at Riddle & Brantley — work on a contingency basis, which means there are no upfront costs and no attorney fees unless they recover financial compensation for you.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you can work with an attorney on how to file a truck accident claim. In certain cases, your lawyer and you may determine that it makes sense to file a lawsuit against the insurance company or other defendants.
Remember, insurance companies aim to pay as little as possible on a truck accident claim, so having a truck accident lawyer on your side to pursue justice and compensation can dramatically increase your chances of recovering fair compensation for your injuries.
Injured in a North Carolina truck accident?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck or tractor-trailer accident, the experienced truck accident lawyers and wrongful death attorneys at Riddle & Brantley may be able to help.
You may be wondering how to file a truck accident claim.
We will review your case and help determine your best legal path forward for pursuing your injury claim.
The truck accident attorneys at Riddle & Brantley have more than 220+ years in combined legal experience, and we’re proud of the results we’ve obtained fighting for injured North Carolinians.
- $9,450,000 | Tractor-Trailer Accident & Wrongful Death — A family of four was tragically killed in a crash involving multiple tractor-trailers on a busy North Carolina highway. Our attorneys took the case and organized a comprehensive crash scene investigation, including accident reconstruction by recognized experts. Through extensive litigation and negotiation, we ultimately secured more than $9 million in total compensation from several insurance companies.
- $2,000,000 | Tractor-Trailer Accident — When an older woman died of injuries sustained in a serious accident involving an 18-wheeler, attorney Gene Riddle and the Riddle & Brantley team fought for justice for her surviving sons. We hired experts to establish liability and ultimately recovered $2 million in compensation for our clients.
- $1,800,000 | Truck Accident & Workers’ Compensation — Our client was driving a truck while on the job when another truck crossed the center line and hit him head-on. Our client was instantly killed, as was the other driver. Attorney Gene Riddle took the case, working out settlements with the workers’ compensation carrier as well as the insurance company for the truck, ultimately totaling $1.8 million in compensation for the victim’s family.
***Disclaimer: The results mentioned are intended to illustrate the type of cases handled by the firm. These results do not guarantee a similar outcome, and they should not be construed to constitute a promise or guarantee of a particular result in any particular case. Every case is different, and the outcome of any case depends upon a variety of factors unique to that case.
Do you have a truck accident claim in North Carolina?
If you have been injured in a truck crash or tractor-trailer accident, we would love to see if we can help.
We’ve been fighting for truck accident victims and their loved ones for more than three decades, and we’re proud of the words our deserving clients use to describe their experience working with our firm:
“We’ll never stop fighting for truck accident victims. All North Carolinians deserve justice.”
There is no obligation, the consultation is free, and you won’t pay a dime in attorney fees unless we win financial compensation for you.
Justice Counts for you and your loved ones.